Construction is moving right along, with exterior work going smoothly and many details of the interior taking shape. The site contractor has removed the front steps and the areas closet to the front of the building excavated (as shown in the images above). On the west side of the building, masons have removed and replaced damaged bricks.
Inside, a team is busy installing the new elevator and its many intricate parts, a task that takes several weeks. New electrical power equipment is soon to be up and running. Various carpentry work has continued around the building, and paints have been selected for the reading room and staff lounge areas.
Timeline to completion:
- Interior construction: end of September 2020
- Exterior construction: mid-November 2020
- Collections relocations: mid-December 2020
- Staff moves: December 2020 – January 2021
- Reopening (timing and services dependent on construction and COVID-19): late January 2021